Factors To Consider While Upgrading Your Magento Version
In a world where technology is ever-changing and upgrading to the latest program version is a must, it’s always a good time to double-check the limits of your current system and keep an eye on what’s coming up next. The same goes for upgrading Magento (Adobe Commerce), one of the world’s most trusted eCommerce platforms.
A host of considerations will, of course, influence the decision and process of Magento upgrade, and understandably so. Let’s explore them through this article.
Magento Latest Release
Magento is one of the largest userbases, with the platform being utilized for 12% of all online stores. The new version of Magento 2.4.5 is now available for download. This version offers:
- Improved performance and scalability
- Security enhancements
- Improved API capabilities
- Improved testability
In essence, this is the latest version of the Magento platform. New releases are typically available for download through the Magento Marketplace. They include new features, enhancements, security fixes, and bug fixes. It’s always best to know what will be affected when upgrading to a new release.
Magento patches are security updates. They fix bugs and address vulnerabilities in the software. Magento patches are released regularly and are necessary for the store to function correctly. You may also need to apply a patch if you are upgrading your Magento version or if you want to install new extensions or upgrade existing ones.
Types of Magento Upgrades Available
- Security: This upgrade is to fix security issues in the code, which hackers may have discovered or otherwise may have been reported by customers. It’s essential to keep the site up-to-date with these upgrades to prevent any potential attacks from exploiting the eCommerce site.
- New Features: This upgrade adds new features and functionality to the core or community editions. They may also include bug fixes and patches, as well as new features like improved search engine optimization (SEO), cross-sell and upsell capabilities, shopping cart improvements, and more.
- Major Release: This Magento upgrade includes significant changes to the platform, such as moving from one version of Magento to another entirely (for example, going from Magento 1 to 2).
Why Is It Very Important to Do a Full Magento 2 Upgrade?
The answer is simple: to keep your store up-to-date.
As a business owner, your number one priority should be the success of your business. And if you’re using Magento 2, then you have already taken your first step towards success by choosing a reliable and easy platform.
As explained above, upgrading to Magento 2.4 helps you to unlock the latest features and benefits, like:
- Improved performance
- Enhanced security
- Enhanced search capabilities
Why Are Release Upgrades Sometimes Hard?
- The changes made to the code may not be compatible with the existing store. Any customizations made to the Magento installation might not work after you upgrade it.
- The hosting provider may not support the new version yet, which can cause problems installing it.
- The Magento upgrade might require extensive time and effort to complete.
Factors to Consider While Upgrading Your Magento Version
The factors you need to consider before upgrading your Magento version are the following:
- Security of your data and website: Before upgrading your Magento version, ensure you have backed up all the necessary files and databases for your website.
- Compatibility with other extensions and themes: Make sure that any additional extensions or themes you use on your website are compatible with the new version of Magento before upgrading it.
- Compatibility with third-party services such as hosting providers and CDNs : Ensure that any third-party services you use with Magento, like hosting providers and CDNs, are compatible with the new version before upgrading it.
- What functionality do you need?: If you don’t need any specific functionality, then there is no point in upgrading, because it will not give you any new features- moreover, it takes quite a bit of time and effort to upgrade. It will help if you wait until that feature becomes available in the newer versions to use it without upgrading the whole platform.
- Check out the release notes for any new features or bug fixes: Find out if there are any known issues with the update, and ensure any problems have been resolved before going live with it.
What to Do If Upgrading Is Not an Option?
If upgrading the current Magento version is not an option, we recommend creating a new Magento store.
Here’s why you should consider making a new store with Magento:
- You can start fresh with a new version of Magento, patching it as needed without worrying about breaking anything in your current site.
- You can move from a shared hosting environment (which might not be able to handle your traffic) to a VPS or dedicated server. This will undoubtedly give you much more control over how the running of your eCommerce site, including how much RAM and CPU power it has.
Upgrading to the latest Magento version ensures you take advantage of all the new features and benefits it offers. And apart from taking into account the aforementioned factors, it’s always best to consult a Magento expert like Ignitiv who can help you address any issues that may arise.